As a Macintosh user, I found a little program called Coaster at
http://www.download.com. You can record with the line input of your
computer you plugged to the line-out of your MD recorder. I just had to
set the line-in level to avoid clipping.
When I finish, the file is saved in AIFF. After that, it's possible to
encode it in MP3.
This is how I've been able to make a MP3 of Final Fantasy Irish jig.