Stop in your local best buy , circuit city or similar store, and go to
the camcorder section.  Look for the camcorder accessories, for a shot
gun mike and you can record from a distance and not get the side noise.
they may be mono instead of stereo though.

pupu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good mic preamp for use with a portable MD recorder?
> Preferably one that is reasonably portable also. I've seen the MidiMan
> Audiobuddy, but I wasn't sure how good it was. Basically, I'd like to record
> a piano from a distance (maybe 5-10 feet away), but boosting the recording
> level on the MD unit introduces too much noise and the sound sounds too
> distant. I'm not sure that adding a preamp will help with the distant sound,
> but I'd like to get it at least cleaner.
>
> Also, I was thinking about adding a external A/D converter, but I wasn't
> sure that it'd make that much of a difference in the sound. Any comments?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- John

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways