Not sure where the 'button' is off the top of my head, but I do recall
there being web pages with closeup shots of a disassembled R50, that
you should be able to find on www.minidisc.org.

Luckily there is pretty much somebody crazy enough to take apart
evertyhing they own, photograph it, and post it to a web page.
Even luckier, a lot of those people are into MiniDisc :-)

Not sure how hard it will be to locata or fix, but it's at least
worth a websearch.

-Jeffrey