Honestly? I don't know what is wrong with your R50...
but it seems like a logical place to start looking
and if poking at a button/lever/whatever can avoid sending
it in for service, why not?  don't take yours apart unless
you're really comfortable with doing that kind of thing
it's almost as bad as the dreaded Service Mode where most
people screw up their machines.

good luck

-Jeffrey