>the idea of using a pot. as a switch was so that when changing sources i
>didnt spike anything as
>i might with a common switch.

The 'spike' would just be an annoying sound, shouldn't damage anything.
Another way to get rid of it which sometimes works is to put 1 megohm
resistors between commons & signals.  These tie the signal to ground when
unconnected, stop it floating at some indeterminate level. Then just switch
normally.

>is there anything wrong with using a common ground for
>the two inputs and one output

They almost certainly have a common ground anyway, being signal connectors.

OTOH, don't assume that the black lead to the speaker is the same as ground.
  It may be in many cases, I don't know common car audio topologies, but in
some power amps it's not IIRC.  Not that you're dealing with the speaker,
but just in case later...