>Can anyone recommend a good mic preamp for use with a portable MD recorder?

Sorry, I don't know, doesn't seem much selection around.

>Basically, I'd like to record a piano from a distance (maybe 5-10 feet
>away), but boosting the recording level on the MD unit introduces too much
>noise and the sound sounds too distant.

I've been down a somewhat similar path.  I made a preamp, and that was nice
& quiet, but I found that the limiting factor was the self-noise of the
mics.  They were hissing away by themselves, and no reduction in preamp
noise could help that.
I haven't splashed out for expensive mics with low self noise, but I think
that's what you might have to do to mic at that distance, not knowing what
you have now.

Or mic closer to the piano.  The shotgun mic the other fellow suggested
sounds interesting too.  Might try it myself.  (But I think the reputation
of shotguns is not one of natural sound, never used one though.)

>Also, I was thinking about adding a external A/D converter, but I wasn't
>sure that it'd make that much of a difference in the sound. Any comments?

Probably there are other bigger things to improve first before getting to
this stage.