>Anyway, I'm looking to buy an MD unit for my beloved Saturn. I am rather
>partial (ok, very

<snip>

>Problemo dos: If I do get this new deck, it will only fill half of my
>oversized Saturn deck opening.
>I planned to fill in with a tray, but I hoped I could find a tape deck
>that would fit there too. The
>kind of cassette deck I'd be looking for would be simple: it'd have the
>tape slot, and the
>play/stop/cue buttons..that's it. I've seen them before, so I know they
>exist. Here's what my dream
>car deck looks like:
>  _________________
>|                                   |
>|_____KMD-42_____|
>|                |                  |
>|__tray___|_cassette__|

I don't think it's feasible the way you want to do it, but you could
consider trading in your KMD-42 for one of the Kenwood tape headunits, then
getting a KMD-D400 slave unit (which is possibly overkill - it's a 3+1
in-dash MD changer). The pair would match nicely in the dash, and you'd
have tape, CD (via changer) and MD all at hand.

That's about the only way I can see you getting the best of both worlds
anyway..

hth,

--
Simon