Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Cambridge Soundworks has a spiffy portable speaker set: two small
>> satellites, subwoofer, and a small car-type (lead) rechargeable battery to
>> power the set.  Cost is around $70, I think.
>
>Intersting.  Now my question.  Does anyone make a single piece
>amplified stereo speaker system?  I had a really nifty one oh, 'bout
>10 years ago.  Had a little compartment on top to stick the walkman
>or tape player or whatever.  Used 8 D batteries and would recharge
>nicads.  No idea what brand.  Alas, it went in the house fire.
>
>I would LOVE to have another one of those.  It was so nice - just
>clamp the walkman in the compartment and it became a 1 piece
>device.  No fooling with cords or carrying cases or the like.
>
>Anticipating that nothing like this is made, anyone know of a decent
>amplifier (component or board level product) that could be used in a
>homemade speaker box?

The one that Rat suggested is exactly what you're describing. I actually
have one (sans battery). The bag is rectangular (taller than wide), and
the subwoofer fits in the bottom. The top has two compartments for the
satellite speakers (with mesh "windows" so that the sound gets out), and
a space between them for storage. On the very top is a "shelf" for a CD
player, MD player, etc. You can unzip the top flap for quick access to
the player. One side has a zip-open door for power cables, etc. (in case
you want to plug it in, or use the satellites outside of the case). The
other side has a pocket for the battery for portable use. It's really a
great little system (and it's now much, much cheaper than when I bought
mine five or six years ago!).