> Does anyone know if leaving the Sharp 702 portable MD permanently
> connected to 5v will do it any damage?

I think it won't. In the manual it says you can leave it charging
overnight, because once it is fully charged it stops charging
automatically.

>   The reason I ask is that I have wired it into my car and often leave

>   it in there for several days in a row.

Did you wire it directly or you connected it to a wire that looses the
power when you turn the ignition off ?

If you wired it directly then keep on reading, if you didn't just go to
sleep and forget it ;-)

I think the batery won't go down if the unit is not used for 3 or 4
days, at least not down enough to make it start charging again...

An alternative is to remove the battery from the unit when you leave it
in the car.

Good Luck.
Julio De Gregorio
Buenos Aires - Argentina