From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of las
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 12:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MD: SCMS Strippers

As far as I know they are illegal in this country.  Even people who used to
sell them on the internet seemed to have been forced to stop.  A similar
thing is going on
now with DVD players that allow you to disable their copy protection
(Macrovision). They have been forced to modify their players so that you can
not defeat it.

That leads to the debate about copying an MD copied from a CD, for example.
Right now if you make a digital copy of the MD, you can't make a digital
copy from that MD
on to another MD.

I question the wisdom of doing that in the first place.  Every time you copy
an MD you have to "decompress" it and "compress" it again.  There has got to
be some
generation loss with each copy of a copy.  But since I have never personally
done it (I don't have a SCMS stripper to be able to do it in the first
place) I can't
personally say if you would hear a difference for the first few generations.
Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Have a great day,
Larry

> A wise man once said : - Being in a relationship is talking soft and LYING
HARD ! (Dodge, 1999)