Hi everyone!

I thought I would give you an update of my recent process of hooking up my
SB Live! Player 1024 to my Pioneer VSX-808RDS receiver using a Digital
Output Module from Creative Labs (http://store.europe.creative.com/) and a
10 m TOSLink-TOSLink cable from optiCompo (http://www.opticompo.com/).

As you might guess, the Digital Output Module arrived today and I was
finally ready for setting it all up.

   First of all, the Digital Output Module is a little box which connects
to the SB Live! Player 1024 only (no other sound card in the Live! series
has the special 3.5mm connector for connecting the Digital Output Module).

The Digital Output Module was US$36 including shipping and can be found at:
http://store.europe.creative.com/detail.asp?pid=1027

It has two SPDIF outputs (which mainly correspond to front and rear speaker
digital output), and each of these consist of both an optical TOSLink
output and an RCA (coaxial) output. I don't know if one can use both
TOSLink and RCA at the same time, though...

When you use 3D DirectSound or EAX you should use SPDIF output 1 as front
output, and SPDIF 2 as rear output (if you want to). In all other cases you
should use SPDIF 1, which then corresponds to a regular front speaker
output like I said earlier.

The box I got from Creative contained the Digital Output Module (of
course!), a how-to-get-technical-support booklet, a single paper with
installation instructions and instructions on how to use the Digital Output
Module, a 1.5-2.0 m TOSLink-to-mini-TOSLink optical cable to hook up the
Digital Output Module to a portable MiniDisc recorder with a mini-TOSLink
input, and three (!) identical CD:s with LiveWare! 3.0 (drivers etc.) but
only for Windows 95/98/NT4.0, _not_ for Windows 2000.

   I noticed that the basic drivers for the SB Live! series of sound cards
shipped with Windows 2000 Professional never gave any output to the digital
output (nor to the analog rear-out jack on the card, no matter what speaker
configuration I selected under Sound/Multimedia in the Control Panel), so I
downloaded the latest driver from the following URL:

http://www.soundblaster.com/drivers/welcome.asp?reg=0&OS=Win2k&prod=sblive&Select=Get+Files&x=56&y=7

The correct procedure seems to be having the basic drivers that came with
Windows 2000 Professional installed, and then running the downloaded file
which will replace the driver with Creative's own.

If one wants a lot of extra bells and whistles, like an advanced mixer with
lots of fine-tuning capabilities etc., LiveWare! 3.0 for Windows 2000 is
available for download at the following URL, but it is approximately 20 MB
so it may be a bit unnecessary if you only need drivers for the sound card:
http://www.soundblaster.com/liveware/w2k/download.asp

   Anyway, after installing the driver everything worked as it should. The
only thing I could complain about is that I'll have to turn up the volume
on my stereo pretty much. It seems like the digital output is at quite a
bit lower volume than the analog outputs. I have set the volume sliders at
the next highest mark in the mixer, but still have to turn the volume up to
about -40 dB on my stereo instead of -65 dB from other inputs (like FM, CD,
MD etc., of which the latter two actually are connected by TOSLink cable to
the stereo, too).

So either the A/D converter on the card gets a low input signal, or it
scales it down to this pretty low level, or the drivers are doing that.
Don't know which. I will be e-mailing Creative's technical support about this.

But the sound quality is _very_ good, and I'm very happy with this little
investment. All in all it cost me US$36 + DM75,- =  approximately US$72.

I hope this gives some insight to others that want to do the same thing.

Best regards,
Björn
--
Björn Wiberg ([EMAIL PROTECTED])