--- "David W. Tamkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> gather that
> Mike means the cause might be recording into and reading from the
> additional
> area on 74s after 80s were cloned onto them, not the cloning
> itself.

> my cloning [...] has not involved trying to use the lead-in or
> lead-out spaces

That's exactly what I meant, David.  The failures of the transport
may very well have nothing to do with my use of enhanced 74min discs;
now I come to think of it, I've probably only pushed such a disc to
the limit on two or three occasions (one was a deliberate test to
find the maximum, another was a Creation compilation CD clocking at
79' - the TDK could only manage 78'30").

I'm resigned to being without my deck for some time after taking it
into Richer Sounds tomorrow... unless anyone's got any better ideas?
By the relative lack of response both here and on a.a.m, my 520 looks
like a very rare example of serious mechanical failure.

Mike.