====================BEGIN QUOTE=================================
My JE520 has finally bitten the dust, I'm afraid.  In the last two
days, it started to have problems reading inserted discs, then
problems skipping tracks and finally, last night, when I tried to
skip several tracks backwards, went bananas (rapid clicking from the
transport) and refused to eject.  Eventually, I had to power the unit
off at the mains and remove the cover to extract the MD.

What appears to be happening is that the small white plastic cogs on
the lower level of the transport mechanism (which control the lateral
movement of the read/write head) are slipping.  This only seems to
occur now when the head is required to move from right to left into
the first third of the disc (say, skipping from Tr8 of 10 to Tr3).
Of course, this restriction to movement doesn't prevent sequential
playback of an entire disc, but it does prevent ejection (the head
returns to the leftmost position) or TOC-writing after recording.
Pretty fatal.
======================END QUOTE=================================

What you are dealing with is a "chassis" deck which could have parts that
benefit other Sony models.

If you look at or inside the 530; you would reckon that it would share most
of the 520's parts and you may be able to use the common parts to do some
elementary repairs on either of these decks.

I would suggest not to scrap the 520 but to look towards buying a 530 or
another secondhand 520 for your next MiniDisc deck. If a part common to
either of these machines has bitten the dust and you need to replace it, you
could use salvageable parts from the 520 for the other machine.

Also, if you are an electronics "tinkerer" and are competent with the
soldering iron, if you scrap electronic equipment; don't throw it in the
garbage, but keep it for parts that you may use in your projects.

WIth regards,

Simon