Hi Richard!

At 17:43 2000-07-24 +0100, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 18:30:11 +0100
>From: Richard Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: MD: Pioneer MJ-D707
>
>Does anyone know anything about the Pioneer MJ-D707? I'm seriously thinking
>of buying one this week from Richer Sounds (149.95 GBP) and just wondered
>if anyone out there had one and/or knew of any problems with the unit. From

I've had mine for a year now, and have had no problems with it so far.
Haven't used it very much recently, but still...

The sound is very good, it has a relatively good-looking remote (for being
a Pioneer, many of their units have different-looking remotes and some of
them are pretty ugly), it has an option of adjusting the digital recording
level (which many decks didn't have a year or so ago) but that one works
only for 44 kHz digital input signals.

It accepts 32 kHz, 44 kHz and 48 kHz digital input signals.

The build quality seems very good (mine was manufactured in Japan), it has
nice "metal" feet all around :), it has a good and informative display, it
has  anything that you'll need.

However, it doesn't have a digital pass-through function (so you can't let
it pass on digital signals to its output without having it in record-pause
mode).

The digital noise reduction (DNR) occasionally cuts away high-frequency
tones (like anything that Dolby is involved in - the noise reduction is
licensed from Dolby) so I leave that one off.

Something I've noticed is that when you erase a track, it takes a couple of
seconds before you can push the "edit" button again (e.g. if you want to
erase a few more tracks), as if it's "thinking" (probably it's updating the
UTOC in memory), but that really shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

The power button is not a "touch-type" toggling button but rather a "real"
power switch. If you put the unit in standby mode (with the remote
control), the standby LED lits, but if you unplug the unit's power cable
and then plug it in again, the unit forgets that it was in standby mode and
therefore powers itself on again. So in case of a power outage, if your
deck is in standby mode, it'll be switched on when the power comes back.

Anyway, those small things aren't something that should keep you away from
the unit. It's a great unit and I would recommend it to anyone. It's hard
to find a unit with all the features that it has at that price. I'd say go
for it!

>the stuff on the Pioneer website, it looks pretty good - especially the
>digital connections - optical & coax in & out, which will be very useful
>for me.

Yes, that's a nice feature. And, it doesn't come with a jiggly select
switch to choose between analog/optical/coaxial, but rather with a more
robust knob which probably won't break down just because you change between
the inputs a few times a week. :) But, it has one of those "sliding"
selector switches for the "playback-or-record-when-the-unit-is-powered-on",
intended to use together with a timer if you would want to record using a
timer. By the way, how many of you on the list have ever used this timer
thing? It seems a bit odd to me. :)

Best regards,
Björn

--