Folks,

Here are the gist of a thread going on a flute-playing mailing list,
thought you might find it interesting.  The topic got started with a
discussion of recording practices and recitals...

post #1

1> Finally, is there anyone out there who has tried to record to CD rather
1> than
1> mini disc? All reports are that CD puts minidisc in the shade.

Post #2 debates a few issues (the last sentence in particular), ends up with

2> For convenience and cost, MD puts just about anything else in the shade. In
2> situations where extremes of the frequency range need to be recorded, such
2> as rock, big bands, or orchestral music, MD technology is not quite as good
2> as DAT or hard disk. Again to reap the benefits, all components of the
2> recording chain need to be up to the task to improve on MD, particularly the
2> microphone(s). For most of us, MD is very adequate and much superior to the
2> practical alternatives for field recording.

And post #3 from yet another person, responding to #2

3> Couldn't agree with you more, David!  I'm premiering a Michael Daugherty
3> piece next week, so I recorded it two weeks ago with a local pianist,
3> just so that I could practice with it.  He recorded it on a cassette
3> with some fancy equipment, and special mikes, while I recorded it (at
3> the same time) to my Sony MZ-R55 minidisk, with my $100 microphone.  We
3> both were truly surprised by the superior quality of the minidisk
3> recording.  And piccolo is one of the most difficult instruments to
3> record.  One added benefit - playing back from a digital source, there
3> is no pitch variance . . . other than my own, of course. <g>

--

Mike Rosenlof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]