[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the optional optical board for the
> >sblive. i was thinking of ordering one, but was wondering if SPDIF is the
> >same as toslink. not sure if there's an optical connection standard yet,
> >and i wanna make sure i buy the right cables. i recently traded up my
> >sharp md-x5 for a sony dhc-mdx10 after i had to get it repaired 4 times
> >from best buy (no lemon policy). anyways, the sony doesn't have coax
> >digital in, so i'm gonna have to buy an optical board. here's a link to
> >the spec page for the optical board:
> >http://www.soundblaster.com/accessories/optical-io/specs.asp. thanks!
>
> Hi,
>
> You seem to be confusing S/PDIF and TOSLink -
>
> S/PDIF is the standard for transmitting digital audio data
> TOSLink is (afaik) the "standard" for the size/shape, etc of the plugs on
> optical cables.
>
> S/PDIF can be send down any kind of cable - as long as there's appropriate
> electronics at the other end to recieve it :)  The board you gave the URL
> for should be fine for your purposes.

Yep, S/PDIF is a standard for transmitting digital audio data in the non-
professional world. S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format.

TosLink stands for Toshiba Link, and is nothing more than an S/PDIF over
an optical medium in which connectors and cable types are well defined. Note
that TosLink also defines the protocol that goes over the cable (S/PDIF).

cheers,
Ralph
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE
  "For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
   something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination:
   We learned to talk."
                -- Stephen Hawking, later used by Pink Floyd --