Hi there,

>> - - the R900 has the standard monaural recording mode;
>
> Didn't the R90 and all others back to the MZ-R3?

I should've said "retains the standard monaural...". It wasn't mentioned on
the press release for the MD-LP-equipped Sony decks/systems. I thought Sony
may be dropping mono recording (just keeping playback) across the range. :)

> Does anyone else think that "MZ-R900" is a hell of a high model
> number? How about MZ-R100, or MZ-R190 or something? Maybe we really
> will be into the 4 digit numbers in a year or two.

Actually, I was posting on another forum that I thought Sony would just
bloat the model #'s by 10x.  That, because of the MZ-E800. Sony doesn't ever
make it clear at launch, but the E800 is the new entry-level model for
Japan. Soon after the E800 launch, the E80 was pulled off Sony's official
Walkman catalog site.

Also, for Sony and Matsushita, there seems to be a sense of competition in
model #'s. A few years ago Panasonic "bumped up" from SJ-MJ7 to MJ70, as
opposed to Sony's MZ-E35 (or 50?) to E55. And then Sony moved from MZ-R55 to
90.  This time, Sony may be aiming to appear "higher" than other brands.
There are parts of the MD-buying public who could fall for these higher
numbers, the way they fall for battery life/smallest/lightest figures.

Of course, a very valid argument is that large # jumps occur when there's
some kind of renewal. New optical block, for instance. But Sharp never does
this. Kenwood doesn't do it either, even for the non-clones. It's just
interesting for me.

Back when Toyota and Nissan each did market research for the (then upcoming)
Lexus and Infiniti brands in the mid-80s, they found one thing: the most
impressive naming for them is the form of "letters + numbers". Someone using
a (e.g.) B & O -style naming on MD equipments will be cool, but I don't see
that happening.

Thought of the car example because Sony always reminds me of Honda, and
Matsushita reminds me of Toyota.

Leon