* "James S. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 23 Aug 2000
| What are they analogs of? A medium is analog if its trace on a medium is a
| physical analog of the source material instead of a mathematical coding of
| that material.

You are using a different definition of analog than the rest of us.  We are
talking about the definition applicable to electronic circuits: a device
having an output that is proportional to the input.

| The patterns of light are not analogous representations of the source
| material.

But they are proportional to the "input" that stamped out the medium.  It
just so happens that what was stamped out a pattern of ones and zeros.  The
compact disc can store analog data without ever undergoing any form of
digital conversion.  The CD/Video -- 5 minutes of LaserDisc video and 20
minutes of CD audio on a compact disc, not to be confused with the Video
CD, MPEG-1 video on a CD -- does exactly that.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover