[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My wife has a Sony MDX-C7900 in-dash MiniDisc player in her car.
> We've not had any problems with it for the last couple of years, but
> lately, when we insert a disc, at least half of the time the player
> will audible try to read the disc for about ten seconds, then spit it
> out with "BLANK" in the display.  On good discs, the player still
> reads for around seven seconds before playing sometimes.
>
> The problem is more or less random; I know it's not the MDs themselves
> (though some do seem to have a higher success rate that others).  Is
> this indicative of something serious, or is it simple like needed the
> lens cleaned?
>
> I appreciate any help you can provide.
>
> J. C. R. Davis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Is it still under warenty? If so, bring it in for repair.

I've had the same problem after one year of 'heavy' usage (say >30 000km). It
stopped working
a few weeks ago and I've brought it in for repairs. My best bet is that the
laser is getting weak and
goes eventually dead.

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE
  "For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then
   something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination:
   We learned to talk."
                -- Stephen Hawking, later used by Pink Floyd --