"J. C. R. Davis" wrote:

> My wife has a Sony MDX-C7900 in-dash MiniDisc player in her car.
> We've not had any problems with it for the last couple of years, but
> lately, when we insert a disc, at least half of the time the player
> will audible try to read the disc for about ten seconds, then spit it
> out with "BLANK" in the display.  On good discs, the player still
> reads for around seven seconds before playing sometimes.

I think Ralph is right on the money.  Your MDX is dying/dead.
I would get it fixed, and then try to dump it on Ebay for more than its
worth, and buy a new one.  Why?  Because after I got my MDX-400 repaired
(optical block replaced), it died TWO MORE TIMES, but repaired under the
30- (or was it 90?) day repair warranty.
I dumped it real quickly.  Funny thing too... the CD changer I had
repaired by Sony is exhibiting the same symptoms again.  I hate to say
it, but Sony repair techs are incompetent.
So, if I were you, I'd get it fixed and then GET RID OF IT!!!

Shawn