I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ, here.

I personally run 3 mail servers, onsite, here at my personally owned and
operated iSP, a 4th at my full time job, and 2 more at the ISP I helped
set up a year before I started mine.

Mail servers simply send whatever you feed them...they don't do any
breaking up of lines.  The sender's mail program may or may not break
lines up as they wrap them, assuming the sender has their mail program
set to do so at a regularly spaced interval.

When I read the messages in a WYSIWYG type mailer, and expanded the size
of the window, I was able to view and click on the entire link as it came
through.  When I left the window at it's original size, or when I read
that same message on a text only console based mailer, the line got broken.

You are right, however, that if they've already gotten a broken URL, they
probably won't be able to follow it without a little manual cut and paste.