At 9/29/00 5:29 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] increased the world's knowledge by
typing:

>I'm new to the list. I'm a photographer who wishes to purchase a MD
>portable recorder. I plan to record live audio to accompany my photos.

I'm very, very impressed with the new Sony MZ-R900. It will meet all of
your needs except for fade in and out. That's only available on the new
Sony decks such as the JE640 and JB940. Fortunately, the decks do allow
you to apply the "Scale Factor Edit" feature to recordings you've already
made.

The major drawback to the R900 is that it's currently only available in
Japan. There are three retailers I know of that you can purchase it
through. I bought mine from Japan Direct <http://www.japan-direct.com/>.
They were the most expensive, but they ship very fast and they're very
easy to work with. Two others are Hat-In <http://www.hat-in.com/> and
Hyperjack <http://www.iris.ne.jp/cgraph/hyperjack/HYPERPLmd/>. I don't
have any direct experience with the other two. IMHO the R900 is good
enough that it's worth the extra effort to order it from Japan.

You can find an excellent review of the R900 at
<http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~youn/mzr900.html>.

HTH.