Brian asked,

> Knowing not much about the functioning of the r70 during digital recording,
> is AGC always 'on' when recording from a digital source unless the level is
> manually set?  /me shivers with the thought of having to set the level for
> every digital recording...

No.  AGC applies only to analog input.  For recorders without digital gain
control, digital signals are recorded with their levels unaltered, as Neil
beat me to saying:

| I'd have to say that for digital recordings, the recording level will be
| automatically set (should be identical to the source media),

Theoretically all digital sources are already at the right levels and no
adjustment is needed.  In reality that's very much untrue, but it is the
underlying assumption.

Neil continued,

| for any / all MD units, apart from those that feature scale factor edit (or
| whatever it's called...) where you may have some manual involvement (if you
| choose), as AFAIK that's the only way to have any manual involvement in
| *digital* recording levels.

Scale factor edit is not the only way.  Many recorders do allow setting gain
on digital input.  However, I've never heard of any that have automatic gain
control for it, only for analog input.  Because I have many CDs that are
mastered too softly, I find digital gain adjustment indispensable.