<<Ed Heckman  writes:

 Thanks for the lead. I bought a charger plus a spare battery from Planet
 Minidisc about 2 weeks ago. This let me use the two rechargeables to
 record all the sessions I was in at a conference last week. It really
 saved my butt.

 Don't let the specs fool you, the R900 gets significantly less recording
 time on the rechargeable battery than 8 hours. I say only about 6 hours
 (or so) in LP4 mode. And playback time isn't that much better. (These
 estimates are based on the battery indicator in the display.) >>

However, the R900 has much better battery life than the R-90 overall.  The
display is deceiving.  It can be close to the bottom and play for hours.
Recording is a different story.  You do have to be careful.  Use a AA along
with the gum battery or plug the unit in.

By the way, based on Larrys advice, I got a proper voltage adapter to plug in
my R-900.  Sony makes these way cool 100-240 V, 1000 mA travel adapters.
They are available in various voltages (I got 3V for the R-900) and they are
TINY.  Very small and light, with a plug that folds in for travel.  Only
costs a few dollars more than the standard wall wart from Sony, (about $22 at
Yodbashi Camera in Tokyo) albiet more than the cheapest no-name brand you can
find.

Regards,

Leland