Hi,

The 831's power consumption depends on the volume - this is a feature of
Sharp portables.  If you're constantly in the 25-30 range, you'd get less
battery life. Sharp's figure was obtained with volume at "15".

Lithium-ion batteries have virtually no memory effect, but I quote from this
page:
"Li-Ion batteries lose their capacity with every charge/discharge cycle. The
slope is such that after about 100 charges the effective capacity is reduced
to about 75%-85% of the original."
"Li-Ion batteries stored for any time irreversibly lose capacity. The clock
starts from the time the cell is made, and runs whether the battery is used
or not. It loses approximately 10%/year. "
(http://www.rwc.cwc.net/lithium.htm)

These may explain the loss of battery life.  It seems that not recharging
until you use it up is still the best policy.

For a pair of "canal-phpnes", the EX70 is in fact easy to fit into your
ears.  However, it'll take some practice to get the fit right every time.

It will block out a lot of ambient noise, but not as much as some other
"canal-phones".  Because there's less ambient noise, you don't have to turn
up the volume as much, so these can be good for your ears.

The single bad thing about the EX70 is that it sounds artificial.  Both the
bass and the treble sounds like they've been deliberately boosted.  A lot of
owners commented that it sounds 2-dimensional, shrill, tinny, or just weird.
The EX70 also hisses more than other earphones.

At the price you pay for the EX70, there tend to be a bunch of other
nice-sounding earphones: Sony 848, 868, or maybe 888; or even the cheaper
Panasonics.   I had to have a pair of "canal-phones", so I spent 4-5 times
the EX70's price and got an Etymotic ER-4S.

If you don't desperately need to block out ambient noise, I would spend the
35 pounds on something else.

Hope these are of some help.  The 831 is extremely good... hope you find
some earphones that'll make the most of it.

Leon