the audio data is compressed at a 5:1 ratio to enable it to fit on an
MD.
The capacity of a blank disc is 140MB - if it were 650MB there would be
no need for any compression, except that perhaps compression is also
needed to keep the data rate low enough for the (c1991) magneto-optical
format to cope with - the write speed of this format is/was quite slow,
probably one of the reasons for MD's small size - during development the
Sony engineers probably realised that the MO write speed was way too low
to cope with real time audio data and hence ATRAC was born....
Just IMHO....

GB