>My friend suggests that I have a defective Minidisc recorder, and
>it is somehow overheating, leading to this strange activity despite brand
new
>batteries

maybe it has something to do with overheating. The same thing happens with
my MZR 55 sometimes, a newly recharged battery is getting low after a while
( no more than the 10-12 minutes of recording). After a certain pause ( the
20-25 minutes), it goes back into full charge icon, and continue further
recording with no problems at all??! I noticed: its cycle is extremely low
with a high temperature of recording environment ( including MD permanently
in your hands during recording). In my house, under normal conditions, I get
2 hours and 45 minutes of recording time with a full charged battery ( and
it's not bad for the MZR55)....

Try this, do the rest with your battery, and try again after a while. If
it's still 'dead', it's definitely your recorder.
P.S.  I'm talking about the chewing-gum style battery, but it sounds like a
common problem.