I used to have the same burner but on IDE device. It works fine. I can burn
audio CD in 6X and playbale on home stereo.

If you are sick of buffer under, you can buy a TDK or Plextor burner that has
BURN-proof. No more buffer underrun.

What software you use? Adaptec EZCD Creator? If so, try the "disc-at-once"
option. I will close the disc and you won't get a 2 seconds gap in between
tracks. it's especially good for live concert type of music. and also, it will
ensure your disc will be "closed"

I bought a plextor 12x/10x/32x... I love it! never have buffer underrun.