On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 10:51:08PM -0000, Dave Hooper wrote:

> I though Super Audio CDs had multiple layers, one of which was totally
> compatible with current players?

Only the Hybrid discs have both CD and SACD layers.

> Which I suppose means SACDs effectively
> have the music recorded on them twice, one layer dedicated for backwards
> compatibility and the other encoded at 32bit 2MHz or something crazy.

Digital Stream Data (DSD), the underlying encoding format on SACDs
is actually 1-bit/2.8224 MHz.  This is a format that originally Sony
developed for archiving its analog masters, as I understand it.  Both
Sony and Philips are backing the SACD format.

As I mentioned above, not all SACDs are backward compatible with CD.
The ones that are are called SACD-Hybrid (these have the dual layer, the
others are single layer).  So far, I don't think Sony has released _any_
SACD-Hybrid (they've all been strictly SACD), though Telarc, Delos,
Audioquest, DMP, and I suspect others have (I know for a fact that all
of the Telarc discs are Hybrid).

I own a Sony SCD-1 and am quite pleased with it.  I do believe that
there is an improvement in clarity vs. standard CDs, but the difference
is generally quite subtle and requires pretty good equipment to be
noticed at all (I would guess, since I have never moved my SCD-1 to a
system other than my primary one).

My concern for the format (and for DVD-A as well) is that obviously most
people either can't hear or don't care about the difference between MP3
and CD, let alone CD and SACD (just look at MP3 popularity).

Sigh...

Bob

> Dave

Bob Willcox                   Living your life is a task so difficult,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  it has never been attempted before.
Austin, TX                         -- anonymous