> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:41:35 -0500 (EST)
> From: Lalita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> hey guys!
>
> I use MD primarily for recording concerts, then transferring them to my
> computer, editing, and burning them to cd.
>
> I currently have the mz-r50, and I've been hooking up my computer to my
> stereo then my stereo to my md to do this. (??)
>
> instead, I want to have a digital connection between my md and pc.. I'm
> also looking to purchase a new MD (just cuz :P).
>
> so do I just need to get a digital soundcard?
>
> what about the Sony MZ-R70DPC ?  would I be able to both record from md to
> pc and pc to md?  this sounds more convienent than getting a digital
> soundcard.. what's the difference?

The Sony PC-link kits are only good for sending sound from the PC to an
external recorder. You need something else if you want to record digitally
from MD into the PC. Try the Roland UA30, EgoSys U2A, or Canopus MD-Port,
all of which support both digital input and output over USB. By the way, if
you don't have USB, then none of this makes any difference at all. The Sony
PC-Link gear is also only for USB. If your computer
doesn't have USB, then you need to have a sound card with digital I/O ports.

By the way, I have the Canopus MD-Port, I ordered it through
Japan-Direct.com. It's
nice, perfect for the task: mini-optical input and output, hooks right up to
my JB920 deck and my VAIO F190 laptop. It's a shame I can't read Japanese,
but it's easy enough to use that the accompanying docs and software are
irrelevant.

  -- Howard Chu