The remotes that comes with most of the portables that I have seen have been
disappointing, plastic pieces of crap.

When I first got my Denon 70 (0r what ever it is called (a Sharp MS200 clone)
it did not work properly right out of the box.  I up graded to a remote made by
sharp that had an LCD and was actually made out of metal.

Oddly enough this remote came standard with the Sharp MD-ST60 player which sold
for a relatively low price (for the time).

Larry