> People today are so spoiled.  Go back 15 years to the era of LPs and
> cassettes.  Minidisc sure sounds like high quality to those of us who are old
> enough to have been music lovers in the pre-digital age.  By the way, many of
> my favorite recordings never saw the light of day in the digital age.  The
> music only exists on LP (or in some cases cassettes).  The important thing is
> the music...not the technology!

... Then why do we have this forum?? :)

I think it's all subjective. Cassettes are low-end, because of their low
signal-to-noise ratios (I think; I'm not an expert in this sort of thing),
but they were high end once. So were vinyl records and Victorolas.

I don't think it's a question of being spoiled versus humble either. Though
I understand what you're saying, I don't think I should be called 'spoiled'
just because I want to listen to a good-quality recording of the music I
like, and was never around when vinyl records were the 'big thing'.

So far, I think this thread has defined 2 axioms:

    1) Lossless compression formats are always technically superior to lossy
formats.

    2) Compromises in quality are perfectly acceptable, in accordance with
certain external factors (what is being recorded, where it's being used, how
much it costs, etc...)

...with more to come, I'm sure...

- Anthony Lalande