Not long ago (a month) I was in the UK on holiday (I am from South Africa).
The Uk scene really was pumping with MD's. For a person from South Africa,
Europe is a Minidisc buyer's heaven. Even here in South Africa, MD is being
accepted slowly as a alternative to cd portables, at reasonable prices.

<flameshield up>

As far as the CD-R/CD-RW scene goes: Cd writers generally aren't standalone
devices. They require a computer or hi-fi to go with it. After that, you
still need to play back the cd on a separate portable cd player. A lot of cd
portables can't even play CD-RW. With minidisc, you get all the hardware you
need in one convenient device. Recorder (digital and analogue) and player.

In a lot of ways, MD is simply more convenient than cd based players. Mp3
players can do only that, play pre-recorded/converted music. MD can record
DIRECTLY from a lot of digital sources, as well as analogue.

</flameshield down>

Hehe.
Cheers

Gerard Naude