On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:51:43 -0500 (EST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Thankyou Francisco for setting the record straight, and offering a link
>  that supports my layman's explanation. THX certified electronics  offer
>  " processing" in the way of EQ, and rear correlation as well. "

Which, even if mandatory for THX certification of a decoder / amplifier /
receiver, are perhaps technically no different from other DSP mode or eq
effect on amplifiers.

The salient point being that the underlying sound format is the same, and
the decoding is the same. THX is not offering a brand-new, improved sound
format - merely standards with the existing ones. As part of the
specification, certain eq levels and other post-processing elements or
factors may be added - but this isn't a new sound format.

DD-EX and dts-es are.

>  Processing" is being misunderstood as " steering" or " decoding" only!

I'm not sure I buy that. Many / most amps offer some forms of effects, DSP
modes or eq-modes. Some THX amps may offer additional ones, but the
underlying sound format is the same - albeit the may be able to fully cope
with the new sound formats, too.

>  EQ and delay qualify as " processing" parameters also. Why on earth
>  would MacIntosh offer a THX module that has no
>  "processing".........absurd!
>   Let's not rush to judgement that every poster is using terms they don't
>  understand. " Processing" is not limited to steering, but can include EQ
>  and delay as well.........thus a THX receiver offers processing
>  differences that a standard Pro-Logic receiver may not. I simply tried
>  to explain how these differences applied.

It may do - and perhaps in similar, or slightly different ways to other,
non-THX certified amps - however, what you aren't getting, with THX
certified amps, is a brand new sound format, and decoding.

Neil