Try turning off the automatic volume control.  In very quiet situations
with the SOny units, the AGC, (automatic gain control) will ramp up the
amplification until the noise the input ICs make.  You can avoid that by
manually setting the level.  You can also run the mike into a low noise
pre amp and then into the the MD recorder.  IT looses some of the
portability and clandestine properties of a portable though.

Calvin Walker wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks, but that's not what I want. Guess I'll have to abandon MD for recording.
>
> Calvin
>
> > Talk louder
> >
> > Calvin Walker wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I use my Sony MD MZ-55 to record voices softly speaking (poems etc.). No
> > > background noises. I find the noise of the pre-amp to be a real problem.
> > > At first, I thought it was the mic, but I changed it for a much better
> > > one and I still have the same problem. I have tried plugging the mic
> > > into the line-in/optical input. It's less noisey, but the level is too
> > > low (even using an audio module from Sound Professionals). Any ideas
> > > would be most welcome?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Calvin

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways