> Is the new equipment any better?
>
> Kev

Kevin, I've never (touch wood) had a problem with my Sony JE-520 deck in
over two years.  I'd recommend it, and this recommendation may apply to
newer units with the same chassis - the 640 being an example as far as I can
tell.

All new electronic products seem to have built in obsolescence these days,
but it seems the more recent units are more reliable than the earlier units
as the R&D learning curve shallows.  Portable MD recorders are the most
fragile of the lot, even if you're careful with them there's so much packed
into them it isn't hard for something to go wrong.

I guess I'm saying stick with MD - no-one can say a CDR deck is guaranteed
to be more reliable.

Richard Lang
Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com