The transport on my 510 has jammed.  Happened when I inserted an MD this evening
just when I was feeling all smug that my Sony MD equipment has been working
flawlessly (510, R50, E40).  When I remove the top from the unit I can see al
arge plastic gear on the top back left hand side in the transport cage that is
spinning but not moving anything ... it makes a racheting sound as it spins,
like gears stripping.  I was able to force the MD out with a screw driver.  It
will not insert.  I assume this transport is shot.  Is this a common failure
mode ... anyone know?

I am assuming Sony repair is out of the question.  I recall they want a flat
$100 to fix?  That plus maybe parts will buy a newer unit with something beyond
ATRAC 4.5 encoding.  The unit is three years old but it has not seen much use.
Maybe 40 recordings and 100-200 plays.

I want another deck in my hi fi system but here's the rub ... I want the toslink
optical digital in and out this deck offers.  I don't believe the 330, 440 or
the 4x speed DX3 decks offer optical digital out.  Buying a high end Sony deck
is not something I'm willing to do to obtain this connection.  However I am
concerned about getting another cheesy tranport as well!

Anyone have any suggestions on either repairing this deck or which model to
consider for replacement?  I should noted that I no longer record from analog
(mostly vinyl) with this deck.  I now do that with a cd-rw deck (Philips 950)
and then digitally dub to the MD deck.

Thanks.

-jts <Arlington, TX>