John Small wrote:

> The transport on my 510 has jammed.  Happened when I inserted an MD this evening
> just when I was feeling all smug that my Sony MD equipment has been working
> flawlessly (510, R50, E40).  When I remove the top from the unit I can see al
> arge plastic gear on the top back left hand side in the transport cage that is
> spinning but not moving anything ... it makes a racheting sound as it spins,
> like gears stripping.  I was able to force the MD out with a screw driver.  It
> will not insert.  I assume this transport is shot.  Is this a common failure
> mode ... anyone know?

For the 510, the answer is yes, that and the turn on bug which may be
related.  I took my 510 in for service 3 times and each time it came
back worse than it went in.  I say trash it or sell it on ebay as a
nonworking unit.  Some tinkerers may pay you $10 or $20 buck to play
with it.  In all fairness, be sure to make it known what is wrong with
the unit and that you pried it open with a screwdriver.

There used to be some links on the md community pages that showed
attemps to fix the unit.  I am not sure how successfull they were.

You are better off getting a new unit, not another 510.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways