las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The difference between the least expensive receiver (that would be
>considered by the industry definition - if there is such a thing)
>"HiFi" and the most expensive individual components is insignificant
>when compared to speakers.

Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration (I think other components are
also important, and make a substantial difference in audio quality), you
are correct that good speakers are vital to a good-sounding system.

>I agree 100%!! Using flat settings and volume equilibration
>compensators (I just made that up, but you know what I mean) most
>well designed electronics will probably have identical audio
>properties as far as the human ear is concerned.

I would have to disagree with that, Larry. If that theory were true,
given a good set of speakers, one would not be able to tell the
difference between a $500 NAD receiver and a $2000 NAD receiver (both are
very well-designed and manufactured). In reality, you can. There is a
substantal difference in soundstaging and detail.