At 03:58 PM 2/5/01 -0800, you wrote:

>Some people regard the R50 as the "absolute norm" - some kind of ideal form
>for an MD portable.  My guess is that after the R50, MD portables generally
>became caught up in a somewhat pathetic quest for better stastical
>performance (low power consumption, for example).

That actually about sums it up.  I've got an R50 and given a good source
for new unrefurbished product I'd probably buy two more.  They may not have
MDLP, but they are one hell of a machine.  I would put an R50 up against
any deck unit given the available input and output methods (obviously
portables don't have optical out)  the R50 is one
hell of a trooper, and can withstand a lot of abuse without sacrificing
sound quality.

just my 2 cents.

-Jeffrey