At 2/4/01 3:15 PM, John Small wrote:

>Since both are available (R50 at $250, R90 at $220) is there one reason to
>prefer one model over the other?  Beyond the R90 issue is there some
>reason to
>prefer the R900 over either the R50 or R90, aside from the LP feature?  These
>are the only three portable player/recorder models being considered.

Wow, I'm surprised no one answered this yet.

All other things being equal, the R900 is far superior to the older
machines. It's battery life is longer, it's faster (more responsive) than
the R55 and R90; but not the R50. It finally allows you to set it so End
Search is automatic. And it supports MDLP, which IMNSHO, is a big step
forward.

The only real drawback to it is that it has one output for both
headphones and line out. It uses a software setting to control the output
instead of a hardware switch, and it reverts to headphone mode at the
drop of a hat. But this is just a minor annoyance in an excellent design.

In short, unless there's a particular reason not to, get the R900 over
other choices. I have one and I'm VERY happy with it.

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]