Several people have asked me questions via private emails regarding subcode.  While
much information is generally
availabe describing the CD subcode format and even how it is transmitted via S/PDIF, I
have found very little regarding MD
subcode formats.  All I know at this point is that, for recordable MD a single
2332-byte sector of each 36 sector cluster is
allocated for subcode and 32 2332-byte sectors are for audio.  (Therefore it would
seem that the recordable MD subcode
rate is 1/32 of the ATRAC encoded audio rate for non-LP.)  For pre-recorded MD, 4
sectors are subcode and 32 are audio
data, so the subcode rate jumps up to 1/8 of the audio rate.  But nowhere have I found
a description of what is in the MD
subcode data, or if this data  is somehow transmitted via S/PDIF's user bits.  It is a
good guess that recordable MD
constructs the basic display data, track number and time, on-the-fly, unlike CD, which
has this info recorded as part of the
"Q" subcode channel.  This is borne out by the fact that when one does edit functions,
such as divide/combine/A-B erase
the MD recorder only changes the UTOC and does not re-record all the subcode sectors
associated with the affected
audio.  I'd be keen to get some further information if anyone could point me in the
right direction...