On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 05:14:21PM -0500, las wrote:

> Bob Willcox wrote:
>
> > You can record from a SACD in analog only.  The current crop of SACD
> > players don't have digital output (when playing SACDs).  (May never,
> > given the recording industries copyright fears.)  They would require a
> > converter to convert the DSD data stream into PCM in order to record on
> > a PCM device (such as MD).
> >

> Or if DSD is really so superior to PCM, the recorders would have to be capable of
> "reading" DSD.  Assuming for the moment that DSD (which I have never heard, so I
> can't give an opinion about it's relative audio quality) is noticeably superior to
> PCM, it would not make sense to convert "down" to PCM.

Probably makes more sense than to convert it to analog only to convert
it back to PCM.  From what Sony claims, the conversion from DSD to PCM
is easy.  It's just that they don't provide that feature in their SACD
players.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The reason we come up with new versions is not to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            fix bugs.  It's absolutely not.