James, unfortunately I think the answer, without resorting to complex
electrical re-engineering workarounds, is No.

I have a Sony CD changer, and it has two main connections: (1) 2 standard
RCA plugs/optical out for the sound output, and (2) a multi-pin bus which
connects to a Sony headunit).  I'm pretty sure all recent Sony CD Changers
are the same.

You can connect the RCA plugs into anything, whether directly into other RCA
inputs, or conceivably even into a female RCA - 3.5mm jackplug (although I'm
not sure about impedance issues here) but unless you can plug the *bus* into
something, the unit simply won't go.  There's no way to supply power to it
or give it instructions to play.

It does seem that apart from RF CD changers (which apparently don't work
well at all) the manufacturers consciously try to prevent you from adapting
one make CD changer to another make headunit.  I've had a couple of mates
who keep telling me you can adapt, say, from pioneer to sony, but none of
them have ever been able to actually show me how or point to anyone who
actually has!

Conversely, if the bus is hooked up to a Sony Headunit, I don't see why the
sound output RCAs of Sony CD changers couldn't be hooked up To Something
Else.  My CD changer has an optical out which I suspect could be connected
to an MD walkman for digital copying while I'm away from home.  The only
problem would be that you couldn't listen to the changer on the car stereo
(switching it to optical out seems to cut off the analog outputs).

Hope this helps:-)

richard

Richard Lang
Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com

> last one remaining.  The Sony CD changer will not work
> with my Aiwa head unit, nor is there an adapter (per
> the installer).  Can the CD changer be made to work
> through the AUX input on the head unit?
>
> Please keep in mind that I know nothing about
> electronics, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> James

This communication contains information that is confidential and which may be subject
to legal privilege or subject to copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, distribute or copy the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail,
facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3 379 2430 and destroy the original.  We
virus scan all e-mails and electronic media but are not responsible for any virus or
alternation.