I had a strange experience a few days ago.

Ever since purchase, a couple of Maxell blanks would simply refuse to play
on my Panasonic players (MJ75, over a year old, and MJ88, about 4 months
old).  Having read some Japanese forums, I risked trying to wipe the dust
from around the pickup, as much as I could, and then the "rejected" discs
played fine.

I have also noticed how much dust have accumulated on some of my blank
discs. With the XA-PROs the cartridge can be opened up; with the other discs
it's a more tedious job.

Leon