Hey,

Regarding the problem: It's a Sony! :o)

The operational noise of the mechanism is actually unique to Sony portables.
Recent Sony models have spindles that run up to 2800rpm (the standard range
of MD spindle speed is between 400-900rpm).

All Sharp models to date run at lower spindle speeds (no more than 1350rpm),
and I can say my Sharps are definitely very quiet compared to my Sony
(R900). The current Panasonic recorder (SJ-MR200) is quite loud, however it
can be made to run at lower speeds to cut down on the noise.

If you gotta return the thing, you gotta return it, IMHO.  I think there's a
Sharp model that you could connect to a PC, but I'm not sure about the
details.

Leon