"Stuart Howlette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My guess is (possibly incorrect, but anyway) is that the atrac chip
>in the x5 is an earlier version of the 702's, meaning its poorer in
>compression, meaning poorer in storing music. Also, the X5's sound
>could've have been counter balanced with other components, eg,
>speakers, noise removal, amp, whereas the 702 won't compensate
>(although it is only a distinct possibility, unlikely in any case...)

This is strange -- does the MD recorded on the x5 ALSO sound bad ON the
x5?

I ask because ATRAC is backwards-compatible. A recording made on the x5
should sound exactly the same on the x5 as it does on the 702 (well, it
will sound a bit different because of different amps, etc., but you know
what I mean ;)).

Sounds like one of the units is broken -- maybe the heads are misaligned
in one of them.