> how do you guys handle having like 3 different output sources and
> one input
> source for dubbing? i have a DAT, a CD burner, and an MD
> player/recorder. i
> dont have enough inputs in my stereo to handle all these sources. so, im
> thinking i need a mixer or something that will allow me to selectively
> switch the output between 3 differnt sources (DAT, CD, and MD) and send a
> signal to a single input in either another digital recording unit, or at
> least my stereo. know what i mean? for example: on the back would
> be 3 input
> jacks, and 1 output jack. on the front would be a selector switch
> to allow
> me to route one of the three sources to the target recording
> device. like an
> A/B/C selector switch.
>
> sound doable?

totally dude. it's how i got mine set up.

i'm a dj so i had a mixer and turntables long before i bought a minidisc
recorder. i don't know why i waited so long to buy a MD recorder though. MD
is almost made for DJs. so quick to setup and record my sets. anyway. i have
my dvd/cd player, my turntables, my computer, and my minidisc player all
hooked up to it. my mixer has more than one output so one goes to the sound
system, and the other goes to the minidisc recorder.

now. if you want to be able to export optical to your minidisc recorder,
you'll need to get a mixer with optical output (they do exist) but are kinda
on the pricey side. But there are also mixers with analog output that sound
quite good for the price. anything from the NUMARK pro series will be just
great. i myself have a numark dm1800x which is a couple of years old at this
point, but still sounds good and i haven't had to replace any parts on it
yet (knock on wood). and it has EQ on each channel which is essential for
DJs at this point. almost all mixers have that feature now. if you have
money to burn, go with the pioneer mixers (they go for about $1000) but have
minisamplers, bpm counters, and all kinds of effects built into them. they
are fast replacing Rane mixers as the prime mixer used at most parties and
clubs. stay away from gemini, they sound crap. they've tried to make
improvements, but still, there are better brands. also, avoid "scratch"
mixers which are designed with trick djs in mind. they tend to have 2-3
channels max. get something with at least 5 channels so you have room to
grow. you should be able to find something decent for $2-300 these days
because prices have dropped.