I tried adding a TOSlink to by Samsung SC140 CDROM.  It worked, sort of.
The problem is that on most CDROM drives (this one included) the S/PDIF
header does not output a vaild signal unless the drive is actually playing.
(Normal audio CD players output a valid "0" signal when not playing.)
The MD recorder does not acquire lock until a short time after a valid
signal is present, requiring one to "pre-roll" the CD, playing the last few
seconds of the previous track before starting recording on the MD.
I've found no way, using the CDROM's S/PDIF output  to dub the first
track first track of a CD without cliping the beginning...