Upon reading this from Timothy Stockman,

S> I've found no way, using the CDROM's S/PDIF output  to dub the first
S> track first track of a CD without clipping the beginning...

I had the same reaction as Steve Corey:

C> Put your CD player on "Repeat All" tracks (if it has such a function),
C> so after it plays the last track, it skips to the first track.  If you
C> just want the first track, start with the end of the last track, to get
C> the pre-roll, record the first track, and then edit the MD.

but surely Timothy had thought of it as well and already tried it before
posting that he had found no way to get an unclipped dub of the first track.

My guess is that while the CD-ROM drive is backtracking from the end of the
last track to the start of the first, it interrupts the S/PDIF output, so
when it starts to play the first track, the pre-roll effect is lost.  Even
playing the first track on single-track repeat might create a long enough
interruption to lose the pre-roll.

A CD player with read-ahead shock protection might be able to pull it off,
but adding read-ahead to a CD-ROM drive is a whole other project.

On most audio CDs one can start at the beginning of track 1 and then rewind
into the lead-in to track 1 (which is usually two seconds of silence, but
there are CDs that have hidden audio there).  Perhaps rewinding there and
playing from that point will provide a pre-roll for track 1.  Otherwise,
well, rip track 1 to the hard disk, burn a short junk file plus the desired
track to a CDRW (or add it to an open CDRW session), close the CDRW, and then
play the CDRW in the CD-ROM drive to dub to MD, using the junk track to gene-
rate a pre-roll.,